Thursday, July 18, 2013

Little Eyes in the Sky

Matariki (photo from New Zealand Tourism Website, 100% Pure New Zealand)
Matariki, or 'little eyes' in Māori, refers to the cluster of stars known as Pleiades which rise in mid-winter each year.  When Matariki rises in the skies of New Zealand, it marks the start of a new year for Māori. Traditionally, Matariki marked the end of the harvest and the beginning of the planting season.  Today it seems to incorporate the themes of remembering those who have departed and a celebration of new beginnings.

According to the New Zealand Tourism Website, this weekend will mark the end of the month-long celebration of Māori New Year.   Apparently, there have been celebration events around the country, none of which I've attended, oddly enough.  I suppose I've had my own personal remembrance though as I've been thinking a lot about family and those most important to me in the last month.  I think this is one of those things that happen when you move your life to the other side of the world with no family or close friends around you.  They may be far away, but at least we're all under the same sky.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you stopped blogging Debbie, you write beautifully.
    I hope you're well and happy in NZ, and perhaps you no longer feel the need :)

    ReplyDelete