Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Should We Feel Guilty About Being Positive?

Recently I was chatting with a friend who has become really good at using Facebook to market his business. He has learned through experimentation and likes to share the positive and cool things about what he does. And lets face it, as a fly-fishing guide outside of Queenstown, he has got to love his work and have a lot of good days. Lets make that, incredible days. So just about everything he posts is positive and makes others think, "wow, what a life this guy has".

Apparently, he started getting comments from people who were getting f&*^#'d off that he was always bragging about his life. So he did his own poll asking people if they thought he should comment about the cool stuff in his life or all the things that get him f*#$%'d off? He got an overwhelming "post the cool stuff".

This made me wonder how people feel about me always writing about the good things in my "new" life or posting photos of beautiful locations. I got a couple of similar comments, all in jest, I'm sure. But then I started feeling guilty. Guilty about the fact that not everyone I know is having such a good time of it these days and here I was talking about cool experiences and beautiful places.

I resigned myself to the fact that in times that have gone to poo - and they have for all of us - I'm going to try to be as positive as possible. Because isn't there enough negativity around us anyway? I'm hoping that by being positive and sharing the good things, that people who aren't having the best of times right now can see that there are good things. I'm hoping that in some small way, being positive helps others.

And for anyone who thinks I'm just talking crap, I'll post a not-so-positive entry in the next few days. Because remember ... the grass isn't always as green as it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment