Sunday, August 2, 2009

Headline: All Blacks go down again ...














From www.stuff.co.nz ...

The All Blacks perform the haka before playing South Africa in their Tri-Nations match at the Absa Stadium in Durban.

I've become a rugby fan. Or maybe it's more of an All Blacks fan. The All Blacks played South Africa Southboks at 3am NZ time. That's the beauty of MySky, NZ's answer to Tivo. (Or so I assume since I never had Tivo in America.)


I watched the match today while eating breakfast. It was a BIG match. NZ always does the Haka (as shown in photo) after the national anthems. I always find it inspirational to watch. I suppose it's a warrior type of thing. Rugby is an interesting game ... in some ways similar to American football, in other ways, not similar at all. From what I've seen, the All Blacks appear to be, generally speaking, the poster boys of the sport ... fit, mostly all trim, nice looking, clean-cut ... not the rough, beer-belly, cauliflower ear players that you see on many other teams. Again, I'm saying generally speaking. (Don't anyone start giving me flack for my generalized observation.)

Don't be mistaken though. They aren't just pretty boys. A couple of them went down during this match, went down hard. But in true Kiwi spirit, those that went down hardened up and went back for more. As one of the commentators said about one player in particular, "Southlanders don't Hollywood it". Unfortunately, it wasn't a Hollywood ending either. The All Blacks didn't play their best in this match this go around and suffered some questionable calls from the official which resulted in a 31-19 loss to the Springboks.


No comments:

Post a Comment